Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Easter Outreach

During the month of March the Christian fellowship had an outreach program. I was desperate to do something to lift the Name of Jesus up within my work place. I suggested it to the other two leaders. Straight away they was enthused about it. One of them, Gloria, made a suggestion about its theme. She wasn't even serious about the suggestion either. "Who are you?" she suggested. Immediately I felt God speak to me that this was right. I'm one of those people that if I see an idea I want to run with it. This suggestion really captured my imagination.

So often, people at work tend to just have their head down and do their work drudgingly. We who are followers of Jesus, know of another dimension to life and how it need not be a drudge.

It was suggested we have a literature table in the foyer during the two weeks either side of the Easter break. I emailed everyone in the group for volunteers. Gloria also emailed them for finances. The response was phenomenal! People handed her lots of money; I felt they gave quite sacrificially. In the end we raised over £300! We even got donations from those who don't normally come to any of the meetings. People were also enthusiastic about being at the table to greet people as they either came to work, or were going home.

My wife Andrea is a bit of a photographer and I was keen to use a couple of her photos for the posters which I wanted to put up in the foyer of the Town Hall.

Only about two weeks before we went out to visit Green Park, in London, near Buckingham Palace, to enjoy the sunshine. The weather was warm and the Daffodils were out in force; they looked quite lovely. Andrea used her, recently bought, new camera and got snapping away. I used one of these to for the posters. The other photo was of a butterfly that Andrea had taken during our holiday in France.

The price of such posters are quite expensive and, although people were generous I felt I did not want to waste their money. I was, however, able to find a very reasonably priced place on the Internet. It was in Germany and you had to send it via the Internet. I was concerned the posters would not get back to us in time but they worked very hard and the posters looked stunning! It was so thrilling when I put the posters on the table in the foyer.

We had a prayer meeting prior to the outreach weeks and one of the members suggested a prayer point list. This, I have to say, was very useful and insightful about what we should concentrate on.

I did all I could to get enough literature and tracts to make the table look nice and full. Others too scoured their own churches for literature. We were not prepared for the success we were to experience on that first day. By the end of the day the table looked quite empty with very few leaflets left. Some people stepped into the breach and one person went on his motorbike during his lunch break to get some more from a local Christian book shop. He insisted on paying for them himself. Others also gave bags of new testaments Bibles and expensive books for people to take. They too insisting not to be reimbursed. Each day was similar with us having the problem of keeping the table stocked up.

On the table we had little mini eggs in a basket (People were very willing to take them); and Hot-Cross Buns. We wanted to show people the Grace of God and definitely not worry if they all went. We did our best to keep the basket stocked up. Again, many of the group bought some themselves, they even bought quite expensive, luxury eggs and chocolates.

A Bible was opened and each day a Bible passage was chosen for people to read. A prayer request book was also available for people to write in for us to pray for what was asked.

By the end of the two weeks we had given away lots of booklets and eggs. We had lots of people asking us questions and we had many prayer requests. It has been a very successful time!

Afterwards we had a thanksgiving meeting where all we did was praise God for what He had done.

Steve

1 comment:

Anne S said...

I was privileged to help on the table in the first week. Not working in one of the main council sites, it was an excellent opportunity to meet with other Christians and I enjoyed speaking with people about why we were there.

I feel that it went really well and People still say hello that saw me sitting at the table.

Well done to all that organised it and praise be!